Kingston Buildings

No.2 - Ultimate Outdoors - formerly Nuttall's Emporium and Restaurant

Created by the cousins Alfred and Charles Nuttall in 1901, the store became known as the "Fortnum and Mason of Kingston".  With an elegant dining room and dance hall, it also boasted a Food Hall on the ground floor with access from the river via the Riverside Gardens and by which boaters could moor up and buy their picnic hampers before proceeding up or down river.  Due to problems obtaining supplies, the store closed in 1932.

The ground level colonnade has sadly disappeared but the beautiful "New Renaissance" façade remains and is still much admired